From the Office of School Safety at DOJ:
Due to confusion about the due date, and recognizing that many of our schools are in a state of emergency due to flooding, DOJ has extended the application deadline to 11:59pm on Friday, August 31.
SRO Training Opportunities
Please see below for upcoming training opportunities for School Resource Officers.
Webinar: Protecting Our Schools
On Thursday, September 6, 2018, from 12:00 to 1:30 PM, the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) will host a webinar for school resource officers to explore effective techniques and strategies for school resource officers to utilize for the prevention and intervention of a school tragedy.
This webinar aims to:
- Highlight the progression of school safety strategies and techniques from Columbine High School massacre to present day policies and procedures
- Teach strategies to identify armed persons on school campus and how to utilize appropriate enforcement actions for safe and successful weapon recovery and suspect apprehension
- Provide practical steps to improve personal officer safety while responding to violent incidents on campus
- Prepare school resource officers to manage the after-crisis with students, staff members, community members and never-ending media attention
- Frank DeAngelis, Consultant, Former Principal of Columbine High School
- Lt. Richard Hobson (Ret), Consultant, Hobson & Associates
- Troy Melott, School Resource Officer, Montgomery County Schools, MD
Attendance: This webinar is targeted to school resource officers, but any interested law enforcement personnel are welcome to participate. Register here.
Webinar Series: Averting School Violence
The U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention will present a two-part webinar series on averting school violence. These webinars will address school violence prevention, response, and recovery.
On September 5, 2018, from 2 to 3 p.m. ET, “Strategies for the Prevention, Response, and Recovery from Acts of Violence in Schools” will discuss ongoing efforts to prevent, respond to, and recover from school violence. Presenters will explore lessons learned, best practices, and the role of school resource officers in school violence prevention.
WI Juvenile Officer Assoc.: Human Trafficking & Juveniles
WJOA’s annual conference takes place October 23-24 in Wisconsin Dells. It features information on human trafficking and juveniles. There will also be a Threat Assessment Team training track. More information is available here.
Please monitor the Office of School Safety training website for additional training courses, including Adolescent Mental Health, Threat Assessment Teams, and the Intersection of FERPA, School Safety, and Liability.