Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester) and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau), the leaders of each house of the Wisconsin Legislature, today announced the formation of a Blue Ribbon Commission on School Funding to be chaired by Sen. Luther Olsen (R-Ripon) and Rep. Joel Kitchens (R-Sturgeon Bay) (pictured at left from the Legislative Advocacy Conference). WASB Government Relations Director Dan Rossmiller has been appointed to the commission.
The press release announcing the formation of the commission indicates, “The commission will hold its first meeting this month. Beginning next year, the commission will travel around the state conducting public hearings to learn more about school funding issues in Wisconsin. Recommendations will be given to legislative leaders before the end of the session.”
Members named to the Blue Ribbon Commission on School Funding include the following lawmakers, educators and experts in the field of education:
· Rep. Joel Kitchens (R-Sturgeon Bay), Co-Chair
· Sen. Luther Olsen, (R-Ripon), Co-Chair
· Sen. Alberta Darling (R-River Hills)
· Sen. Howard Marklein (R-Spring Green)
· Sen. Kathleen Vinehout (D-Alma)
· Rep. Cody Horlacher (R-Mukwonago)
· Rep. Romaine Quinn (R-Rice Lake)
· Rep. Sondy Pope (D-Mt. Horeb)
· Rep. Jason Fields (D-Glendale)
· Ted Neitzke, CEO, CESA 6
· Dr. Michelle Langenfeld, Superintendent, Green Bay Area Public Schools
· Dr. Joni Burgin, Superintendent, Grantsburg School District
· Dan Rossmiller, Director of Government Relations, Wisconsin Association of School Boards
· Lori Saqer, Director of Business Operations, Messmer Catholic Schools, Inc.
· Dr. Julie Underwood, Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, UW-Madison
· Dr. Bill Hughes, Chief Academic Officer, Seton Catholic Schools
Both Sen. Olsen and Rep. Kitchens are both former school board presidents. Sen. Olsen is the chair of the Senate Education Committee. Rep. Kitchens is the vice-chair of the Assembly Education Committee.