The Assembly Education Committee has scheduled a hearing and an executive (voting) session on Wednesday, Feb. 10 at 1:00 PM. The committee is likely to take up Assembly Amendment 2 (see previous post) to Assembly Bill 751 again or a modified version of the amendment. We will update you tomorrow when an official meeting notice is expected.
We are also hearing that the committee will take up both Assembly Bill 481, relating to restricting when school district referendums may be held (WASB opposes this bill) and Assembly Bill 469, relating to changing rooms (WASB also opposes this bill). Amendments are expected to both bills and we will update you when those are available.
With respect to AB 751, whether Assembly Amendment 2 is modified or not the result will be the same: if your district has resident students in the statewide or Racine voucher programs, under this amendment, you will lose revenue limit authority and you will likely have to pay for your voucher students by reducing educational opportunities for the children that remain in your district. We strongly oppose these efforts and urge you to keep the pressure on state lawmakers.
Also, late Friday the Legislative Fiscal Bureau (LFB) issued a memo detailing the fiscal impact of the amendment on the 142 school districts impacted by the Racine and statewide voucher programs. As expected, the LFB estimates the loss under the amendment to be $22.7 million spread across the 142 districts.
Please contact your assembly Representative as well as your state Senator. For your convenience in doing so, we have provided links to the Assembly Directory and to Find My Legislators (top right there is an address field to look up your lawmakers).
Also, here are the members of the Assembly Education Committee & their toll free office phone numbers:
- Representative Thiesfeldt (Chair) (R-Fond du Lac) (888) 529-0052
- Representative Kitchens (Vice-Chair) (R-Sturgeon Bay) (888) 482-0001
- Representative Jagler (R-Watertown) (888) 534-0037
- Representative Knudson (R-Hudson) (888) 529-0030
- Representative Rodriguez (R-Franklin) (888) 534-0021
- Representative R. Brooks (R-Saukville) (888) 534-0060
- Representative Horlacher (R-Mukwonago) (888) 529-0033
- Representative Murphy (R-Greenville) (888) 534-0056
- Representative Quinn (R-Rice Lake) (888) 534-0075
- Representative Hutton (R-Brookfield) (888) 534-0013
- Representative Duchow (R-Town of Delafield) (888) 534-0099
- Representative Pope (D-Cross Plains) (888) 534-0080
- Representative Sinicki (D-Milwaukee) (888) 534-0020
- Representative Genrich (D-Green Bay) (888) 534-0090
- Representative Barnes (D-Milwaukee) (888) 534-0011
- Representative Considine (D-Baraboo) (888) 534-0081