The Speaker’s Task Force on Urban Education will hold its second hearing in Racine and Kenosha on Tuesday, October 13. The focus will be mental health, behavior problems, and truancy.
The task force will start with tours of Racine Case High School and Southport Elementary in Kenosha at 10 AM and 11:30 AM respectively. Members of the media and the general public are welcome to join the Task Force on the tours. Please RSVP to Rep. Rodriguez’s office (608) 266-0610, so an accurate head count can be provided to the districts.
The task force will then convene a public hearing at 2 PM at UW-Parkside Student Center with invited testimony from:
- Dr. Lolli Haws, Superintendent of Schools – Racine Unified School District and Dr. Eric Gallien, Deputy Superintendent
- Dr. Sue Savaglio-Jarvis, Superintendent of Schools – Kenosha Unified School District
- Jeff Tarkowski – Counselor from Tremper, Heidi Schneider – Counselor from Bullen, Sue Valeri – Director of Special Education, Tim Lemke – Coordinator of Special Education, Leo Eckman – Coordinator of Special Education
- Mr. James Ladwig, President & CEO of Racine Area Manufacturers and Commerce (RAMAC)
- Ms. Julie Hueller, Director of Mission Integration and Community Relations, Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare and Dr. Joseph Bergs, Child Psychiatrist
- Mr. Rodney Prunty, President of Racine Area United Way
- Phyllis Greenberger, Children’s Mental Health and Special Education Advocate – Disability Rights Wisconsin
At the conclusion of the invited testimony, the Task Force will accept public testimony regarding the focus topics of mental health, behavior problems, and truancy.